Monday, August 25, 2008

Red Herring


Full Time has reported that Canadian National Team coach Dale Mitchell would rather not have his team play in Toronto due to the artifical turf.

But I think that "the pitch is the same for both teams and down the road could even prove a big advantage for Canadian teams attempting to qualify. For me the turf issue distracts too much from the performance issues surrounding both Canada and TFC. The big story for me is Canada not getting the critical three points against Jamaica. Same goes for TFC - who in my mind should be focusing more on a play-off spot than on the turf. Re TFC/MLS - in what other league in the world do you see a team transfering one of their best players (Edu) in the middle of the season - during a play-off run - and then saying they'll use the money to buy a field rather than new players? It's absurd. So - while it is an issue - the turf is really more of red herring. Canada and TFC have other fish to fry."

1 comment:

Paul Gordon said...

Can I ask where you got the red herring image from as I'd like to use it. Is it yours? Paul